Dean Fiore and Shane Smollen have cause to celebrate Porsche Carrera Cup Australia’s return to Hidden Valley Raceway, taking the top time in the outright and TAG Heuer Carrera Challenge class, respectively.
Fiore had a mixed day in the Top End; the West Australian ended his practice one prematurely after making contact with the Turn 10 barrier. Fiore then posted the quickest time of the day in the second practice session, a time vastly improved on that of the current qualifying and race lap records.
“The team were able to fix the car for practice two and I was able to pick up where I left off, which was a reasonable position from the opening practice, so I’m happy with where we finished up,” said Fiore.
“I really like Hidden Valley. I never really had good results here in the V8 but I always enjoyed driving here; it’s a challenge with the heat. The off-track stuff is great too. It’s a really good break from the winter weather.
“Now we’ll have a good look at everything from today and hopefully capitalise tomorrow.”
David Wall, who posted the quickest time in opening practice, was the second quickest Carrera Cup racer of the day from teammates Ash Walsh and Nick McBride, series leader Matt Campbell, Alex Davison, Dylan O’Keeffe, Garth Walden, Steven Richards and Michael Almond in 10th.
Smollen impressed on his maiden Hidden Valley Raceway visit, finishing Friday practice over half-a-second ahead of his closest TAG Heuer Carrera Challenge rival.
“A new track is always the great equaliser so it’s good to get an advantage early on, but at least it gave me a good feel and better rubber for tomorrow’s qualifying. It was hot work, but great fun out there; it’s a great little track,” said Smollen.
Smollen’s time placed the Sydneysider 11th outright from Fraser Ross and James Abela, and class rivals James Bergmuller, Scott Taylor, Stephen Grove, Adrian Mastronardo, class points leader Tony Bates, Duvashen Padayachee and Marc Cini.
This weekend’s round is just the fifth Hidden Valley visit for Porsche Carrera Cup Australia and the first since the 2007 season.
The championship will hold qualifying and race one on Saturday and the final two races of the weekend on Sunday – all of which will be broadcast live on Fox Sports 5.
VIDEO: Friday Practice interviews:
Qualifying – Saturday June 18, 11:05am, Fox Sports 5
Race 1 – Saturday June 18, 3:10pm, Fox Sports 5
Race 2 – Sunday June 19, 12:25pm, Fox Sports 5
Race 3 – Sunday June 19, 4:30pm, Fox Sports 5
Saturday June 18, 2016
11:05am-11:25am Qualifying (20 minutes)
3:10pm-3:35pm Race 1 (18 laps)
Sunday June 19, 2016
12:25pm-12:50pm Race 2 (18 laps)
4:30pm-4:55pm Race 3 (18 laps)
Combined Practice Times
1. #8 Dean Fiore (Outright) Saint/Porsche Centre Melbourne – 1:08.8002R
2. #38 David Wall (Outright) Wilson Security – 1:08.8144r
3. #777 Ash Walsh (Outright) Bob Jane T-Marts/Infants Friend – 1:08.8378s
4. #77 Nick McBride (Outright) Bob Jane T-Marts – 1:09.0095s
5. #7 Matt Campbell (Outright) Nuveau Constructions/Phase 8 – 1:09.0286s
6. #25 Alex Davison (Outright) Wilson Parking – 1:09.2152s
7. #88 Dylan O’Keeffe (Outright) Allstar Equipment/Dexion Supply Centre – 1:09.2404s
8. #21 Garth Walden (Outright) CIP/GWR – 1:09.3162s
9. #12 Steven Richards (Outright) Laser Plumbing and Electrical – 1:09.3202s
10. #26 Michael Almond (Outright) Copyworld – 1:09.5816s
11. #56 Shane Smollen (TAG Heuer Carrera Challenge) McGrath Estate Agents – 1:09.6605s
12. #360 Fraser Ross (Outright) Preston Hire – 1:09.6847s
13. #54 James Abela (Outright) Horsley Park Gun Shop – 1:09.7343s
14. #13 James Bergmuller (TAG Heuer Carrera Challenge) pricepressure.com.au – 1:10.2929s
15. #222 Scott Taylor (TAG Heuer Carrera Challenge) Scott Taylor Motorsport – 1:10.5095s
16. #4 Stephen Grove (TAG Heuer Carrera Challenge) Grove Hire – 1:10.5911s
17. #39 Adrian Mastronardo (TAG Heuer Carrera Challenge) Veritas Property Group – 1:10.6785s
18. #24 Tony Bates (TAG Heuer Carrera Challenge) Moveitnet/A.F.S – 1:10.6850s
19. #45 Duvashen Padayachee (Outright) Darrell Lea STIX – 1:11.0337s
20. #9 Marc Cini (TAG Heuer Carrera Challenge) Hallmarc – 1:11.6714s