With four straight race victories, Nick Foster is looking to continue his winning streak at Sydney Motorsport Park this weekend after the in-form Porsche racer, along with TAG Heuer Carrera Challenge driver Adrian Mastronardo, topped the Friday practice times.
Foster was the fastest in both Friday practice sessions, taking the best time of the day (1:31.1176) in the morning session. He now hopes to continue this strong form into the busy Saturday schedule, which features qualifying and two races.
“My pace is good, the car is good; we’ve just kept the ball rolling from where we finished off in Townsville,” said Foster, referring to his clean sweep of race wins at the Far North Queensland event.
While quickest in both sessions, Foster’s Friday ended early after a turn one incident saw him lightly contact the barrier.
“I ran a bit wide through turn one and was caught out by some of the V8 Supercar marbles; they’re running on soft tyres today, therefore there were a lot of marble on track. I’m looking forward to tomorrow; I’m happy with the way I’m driving at the moment so we’ll put on some new tyres and see how we go.”
Young gun Matt Campbell was also impressive at the Sydney circuit, posting the second best lap time in both sessions, with Shae Davies third across the two sessions.
South Australian Michael Almond continued his strong practice form with the fourth fastest practice time of the day from David Russell, Richard Muscat, Simon Hodge and Steven Richards in eighth.
Mastronardo was the surprise TAG Heuer Carrera Challenge pacesetter, posting a time 0.3secs quicker than class leader and fellow Sydneysider, Shane Smollen.
“I’m extremely happy with my pace today. I’m starting to understand and know what I need to do with the car. I’m progressing well,” said Mastronardo, who declared no home track advantage at Sydney Motorsport Park.
“I treat every track the same. Have I done a lot of laps here? No, I’ve probably done more laps at Phillip Island than at Sydney Motorsport Park. I think the time has come where I’m starting to understand what is needed of me to improve my pace and challenge some of the front-running drivers in the class.”
Tony Bates was the third quickest TAG Heuer Carrera Challenge driver of the day, however his weekend has ended prematurely; Bates’s Porsche received substantial damage following heavy contact with the turn one exit barrier mid-practice one.
James Bergmuller was the fourth quickest TAG Heuer Carrera Challenge driver from Friday practice from Ash Samadi, Scott Taylor, Stephen Grove and Marc Cini.
Porsche Carrera Cup Australia will hold its qualifying and two races on Saturday, with the third race of the round on Sunday, prior to the feature V8 Supercars race.
Be sure to watch every Porsche Carrera Cup Australia session at Sydney Motorsport Park live throughout the weekend on Fox Sports 5.
Saturday August 22, 2015
8:40am – Qualifying (30 minutes)
10:55am – Race 1 (19 laps)
3:40pm – Race 2 (19 laps)
Sunday August 23, 2015
12:45pm – Race 3 (19 laps)
Saturday August 22, 2015
8:40am – Qualifying (Fox Sports 5, Channel 506)
10:55am – Race 1 (Fox Sports 5, Channel 506)
3:40pm – Race 2 (Fox Sports 5, Channel 506)
Sunday August 23, 2015
12:45pm – Race 3 (Fox Sports 5, Channel 506)
Practice Results (combined times)
1. #777 – Nick Foster (Bob Jane T-Marts) 1:31.1176*
2. #7 – Matt Campbell (Phase 8 /Nuveau Constructions) 1:31.1585s -0:00.0409
3. #88 – Shae Davies (Davbridge Constructions) 1:31.3981s -0:00.2805
4. #26 – Michael Almond (Copyworld) 1:31.5031s -0:00.3855
5. #10 – David Russell (Finanze Ezi) 1:31.6876s -0:00.5700
6. #22 – Richard Muscat (Wilson Security / PAYCE / Genis Steel) 1:31.7592s -0:00.6416
7. #11 – Simon Hodge (Team BRM) 1:31.7606s -0:00.6430
8. #1 – Steven Richards (Laser Plumbing & Electrical) 1:31.7691s -0:00.6515
9. #25 – John Martin (Copyworld) 1:31.8062s -0:00.6886
10. #77 – Nick McBride (Bob Jane T-Marts) 1:31.8864s -0:00.7688
11. #45 – Duvashen Padayachee (Darrell Lea STIX) 1:32.0622s -0:00.9446
12. #8 – Craig Baird (Porsche Centre Melbourne) 1:32.1121s -0:00.9945
13. #65 – Fraser Ross (Porsche Centre Brighton) 1:32.1993s -0:01.0817
14. #39 – Adrian Mastronardo (Veritas/Builtform) 1:32.7949s -0:01.6773
15. #56 – Shane Smollen (McGrath Estate Agents) 1:33.1076s -0:01.9900
16. #24 – Tony Bates (AFS / TOP CAT Video Prod.) 1:33.2157s -0:02.0981
17. #13 – James Bergmuller (MotorOne Car Care) 1:33.2850s -0:02.1674
18. #6 – Ash Samadi (Apartment Hotel) 1:33.9132s -0:02.7956
19. #222 – Scott Taylor (Scott Taylor Motorsport) 1:33.9906s -0:02.8730
20. #4 – Stephen Grove (Grove Group) 1:34.0055s -0:02.8879
21. #9 – Marc Cini (Hallmarc) 1:36.1141s -0:04.9965