Porsche Carrera Cup Australia racers displayed some of the best racing of the season in the closing laps of race two at Bathurst, with Andre Heimgartner and Tim Miles prevailing in the nine-lap thriller.
Race one winner David Wall continued his strong form in the opening laps with Heimgartner, who started third on the grid, closely in tow.
Heimgartner then moved into the lead mid-race at The Chase, triggering an exciting battle for second while the New Zealander established a strong race lead.
Wall was left to defend second place from a charging Alex Davison, Jaxon Evans and Nick McBride. While Wall managed to retain second place by the finish, the battle for third on the final lap was the highlight of the race.
Following Evans’ spectacular opening lap pass on the outside of Davison at Griffins Bend, the New Zealander once again tried to make his way past the former champion on the final lap. Evans pulled up alongside Davison on Conrod Straight, two wheels on the grass, and passed Davison on the outside of the right-hand entry to The Chase.
Moments after the incredible manoeuvre, Evans ran wide at the final corner, as did McBride, handing Davison third position by the finish and, fourth and fifth, to Cam McConville and Jordan Love, who were closely trailing the entertaining battlepack.
McBride recovered to finish sixth, though Evans’ fate wasn’t so kind, the young gun failed to finish the race after getting caught in the final turn gravel trap.
The ever-consistent Heimgartner was thrilled to get his first win of the season since race three at the season opening Clipsal 500.
“I’m really happy with that result. It’s been a long time since our last race win at the start of the year. There’s a bit of relief; the move I did for the lead was one of those moments where I had to just go for it and it came off. I’m pretty happy,” said Heimgartner.
“Wall has been incredibly fast all weekend so it’s great to get one up on him and then to build a gap was pretty good. I can’t wait for tomorrow’s race; hopefully I can win again.”
Dylan O’Keeffe placed seventh for the race from Dan Gaunt and ninth placed James Abela.
Tim Miles continued his impressive Bathurst form with back-to-back victories in the TAG Heuer Carrera Challenge. The Sydneysider maintained his class lead throughout the nine laps to beat his closest class rival, Marc Cini, by over two seconds at the finish.
Stephen Grove placed third in class and 12th outright from Simon Ellingham, Sam Shahin and Graham Williams.
Joining Evans on the DNF list was Michael Almond, who was caught up in contact leading into the opening corner, and Max Twigg, who failed to make the start of the race with drive shaft issues.
Porsche Carrera Cup Australia has just one race remaining for the penultimate event of the season, to be held on Sunday at 9:30am as the final on-track session before the Bathurst 1000 endurance race.
Sunday October 08, 2017
9:30am Race 3 (9 laps)
Race 3 – 9:35am, Sunday October 08
Channel: Fox Sports 506
Race 3 – 9:30am, Sunday October 08
Results – Race 2
1. #777 Andre Heimgartner (Outright) Bob Jane T-Marts/Money Now – 9 laps, 19:24.3020s
2. #38 David Wall (Outright) PAYCE/Wilson Security – 9 laps, 19:26.0522s
3. #888 Alex Davison (Outright) President Limo Australia – 9 laps, 19:28.0543s
4. #5 Cameron McConville (Outright) Repair Management Australia – 9 laps, 19:28.6840s
5. #79 Jordan Love (Outright) Sonic Motor Racing / Quintis – 9 laps, 19:29.3536s
6. #77 Nick McBride (Outright) Sonic / Bob Jane T-Marts – 9 laps, 19:30.0660s
7. #88 Dylan O’Keeffe (Outright) APB Group/President Limo Australia – 9 laps, 19:34.5539s
8. #8 Dan Gaunt (Outright) Porsche Centre Melbourne – 9 laps, 19:38.2384s
9. #136 James Abela (Outright) Horsley Park Gun Shop – 9 laps, 19:44.6000s
10. #70 Tim Miles (TAG Heuer Carrera Challenge) Miles Advisory Partners – 9 laps, 20:08.2839s
11. #9 Marc Cini (TAG Heuer Carrera Challenge) Hallmarc – 9 laps, 20:10.8147s
12. #4 Stephen Grove (TAG Heuer Carrera Challenge) Grove Group – 9 laps, 20:11.2810s
13. #33 Simon Ellingham (Outright) Peak Marketing – 9 laps, 20:11.8374s
14. #13 Sam Shahin (TAG Heuer Carrera Challenge) HTFU – 9 laps, 20:27.8288s
15. #131 Graham Williams (TAG Heuer Carrera Challenge) WRA – 8 laps, 20:05.9813s
DNF #7 Jaxon Evans (Outright) Hungry Jacks – 8 laps, 17:17.8373s
DNF #26 Michael Almond (Outright) Copyworld
DNF #18 Max Twigg (TAG Heuer Carrera Challenge)