Jaxon Evans continued his run of fine form in his first season of international competition
Current Porsche PAYCE Carrera Cup Australia Champion, Jaxon Evans, continued his run of fine form in his first season of international competition clinching the Rookie classification in the Porsche Carrera Cup Deutschland race on Sunday. Evans took sixth position in race 1 as well as pole position and an impressive second position for race 2 behind fellow Porsche Junior Julien Andlauer.
Andlauer’s victory saw the BWT Lechner Racing driver notch up his fifth victory of the season at the Hockenheimring circuit ahead of Evans with teammate Michael Ammermüller in third, “This win was extremely important for the championship. It was a spectacular race with many interruptions and I had no chance to pull clear,” said Andlauer.
Spectators in the ADAC-GT Masters grandstands witnessed an action-packed race under blue skies and in temperatures of 27 degrees Celsius. Andlauer made the best use of his Porsche 911 GT3 cup car’s 485 horsepower to snatch the lead off the front row. However, pole-sitter Evans stayed glued to the 20-year-old’s bumper.
The duel for the lead was interrupted three times by safety car phases, with Andlauer unable to shake Evans off. The race remained gripping to the finish, with only 0.297 seconds separating the two Porsche Juniors at the flag.
Evans, however, had plenty of reason to celebrate: “It’s great to have won the rookie class title. Unfortunately, my start wasn’t so great and that was the pivotal point for my race. Afterwards, I was slightly faster than Julien but there was no chance to overtake,” said Evans.
At the upcoming season finale on the Sachsenring, the championship will go down to the wire between the two Lechner drivers Andlauer (242.5 points) and Saturday’s winner Ammermüller (215 points). Fifty points are still up for grabs.
Result race 14:
- Julien Andlauer (F/BWT Lechner Racing)
- Jaxon Evans (NZ/Team Project 1 – JBR)
- Michael Ammermüller (D/BWT Lechner Racing)
- Jaap van Lagen (NL/Förch Racing)
- Dylan Pereira (L/Lechner Racing Team)
- Larry ten Voorde (NL/Overdrive Racing by Huber)
- Leon Köhler (D/MSG/HRT Motorsport)
- Toni Wolf (D/Car Collection Motorsport)
- Gustav Malja (S/Förch Racing)
- Lukas Ertl (D/QA Racing by Kurt Ecke Motorsport)
Points’ standings after 14 of 16 races:
- Julien Andlauer (F/BWT Lechner Racing), 242.5 points
- Michael Ammermüller (D/BWT Lechner Racing), 215 points
- Larry ten Voorde (NL/Overdrive Racing by Huber), 175 points